Saves money and improves reliability by routing calls over the Internet—instead of through the phone company. Customers can:
- Save up to 60% on your phone costs
- High reliability: 99.999% uptime guarantee
- Keep your existing phone system and numbers
SIP Trunking service details
What is SIP Trunking?
With the phone company, customers typically paying on a per-line basis for physical phone lines that originate in their central office. These phone lines are costly. Customers invest a lot when they initially deploy them, and it’s very expensive to add more as they grow. But with SIP Trunking, phone calls are routed through the Internet. And this makes all the difference. With SIP Trunking customers can:
- Consolidate voice and data traffic
- No longer need to pay for expensive phone lines from the phone company
- Cut costs up to 50 percent—with no loss in either the capacity of businesses to make and receive calls, nor the quality of those calls
- Improve the reliability of the system by mitigating threat of local outages
Most newer phone systems are compatible with SIP Trunking with no extra equipment. (We can help determine if a system is compatible.) Older phone systems may require a device called a VoIP Gateway that translates analog and digital calls into VoIP calls.
In all cases, SIP Trunking brings new life to an existing phone system or provides the savings catalyst to purchase a new phone system—while cutting operational costs and preserving capital.
Best of all, with SIP Trunking, customers can say goodbye to the phone company—forever.
Voice quality testing
Our proprietary VoIP Scout testing tool lets partners simulate the fullest potential load VoIP services could conceivably put on the customer’s network over 3 to 5 business days. Intermedia offers two options to run the test – hardware appliance or soft client depending on the customer’s network.
- The VoIP Scout Appliance for running tests via dedicated hardware (ideal for locations with no available PCs and/or dedicated voice networks)
- The VoIP Scout Soft Client for running tests via on-site computer in the background
- The VoIP Scout Management Portal for scheduling, reviewing and managing network tests
What we’re testing for
Our engineers analyze the stream of data packets (those bits of digitized information that flow through the network) along the following criteria:
- Bandwidth. We verify that actual bandwidth is sufficient for both data and voice traffic
- Packet loss. If packets are dropped on their way to their destination because of network congestion, there will be interruptions to conversation
- Latency. This is when packets take too long to get to the other side, which causes delays in conversation
- Jitter. Jitter is when data packets arrive in different order or at a different pace from when they were sent. Jitter causes a noticeable drop in the quality of a call.
- Complete connectivity disruption. A complete disruption of the network connection will naturally cause calling problems
Intermedia’s Voice Cloud network is purpose-built to deliver 99.999% (five nines) uptime for our voice services. An 99.999% uptime SLA means that you should expect less than six minutes of downtime over the course of a year—and, if we should fail to deliver, we’ll compensate you for it.
Our SIP Trunking improves the reliability of a phone system by leveraging our enterprise-grade datacenters—and by providing tools to respond to an emergency situation.
The Intermedia Voice Cloud is hosted in two datacenters that are geographically dispersed between the West and East Coast. Our redundant architecture is designed to prevent multiple component failures from impacting our customers, helping to ensure uptime even in the event of individual component failures.
- SIP Trunking is hosted in top-tier, enterprise-grade datacenters
- Geographically dispersed datacenters help ensure availability and facilitate traffic routing
- High-availability hardware and network components guard against outages
- Multiple tier 1 Internet providers offer redundant service to route traffic around any provider system issues
- Our technical architecture keeps voice quality at the highest crystal-clear levels
- High network bandwidth for peak demand
From natural disasters to power outages, every business faces some degree of threat to business continuity. SIP Trunking helps ensure that customers and prospects don’t suffer the consequences. As a matter of fact, our SIP Trunking has inherent business continuity with automatic failover built in. For example, in the event of a local disruption, SIP Trunking automatically forwards calls to preconfigured failover numbers such as cell phones or to a designated voicemail box.
Enhanced features like our cloud-based Auto Attendant and Voicemail ensures calls are routed properly and responded to quickly.
In the unlikely event of a datacenter disruption, service is instantly restored through mirrored datacenters.
Many new phone systems are compatible with SIP Trunking with no extra equipment. (We can help determine if a customer’s system is compatible.) Legacy analog or digital phone systems may require a device called a VoIP Gateway to translate analog and digital calls into VoIP calls.
Save or redirect capital
SIP Trunking brings new life to an existing phone system. Or it can provide the savings catalyst to purchase a new phone system—while cutting operational costs and preserving capital. Best of all, with SIP Trunking, you can say goodbye to the phone company.
SIP Trunking saves money by routing calls over the Internet, instead of through the phone company, reducing capital costs and cutting calling rates. Additional ways SIP Trunking saves money:
- Use an Internet connection for the phones. Bypassing the phone company can reduce operational costs up to 60%
- Pay only for what you need. It’s simple to add lines when you need them—with no expensive visits from technicians
- Flexible plans. Choose a plan that meets specific calling needs. Plans include Unlimited, Bundled and Metered
- Cut your calling charges. Get Intermedia’s reduced long-distance, toll-free and international calling rates
- Make free inter-office calls. Calling is free across multiple sites
- No restricting contracts. Cancel at any time without penalty
Intermedia SIP Trunking includes local and long distance calling and Failover Routing. Plans are unlimited, bundled or metered. With Failover Routing, if needed, calls can be automatically rerouted to an offsite number. The failover number can be a mobile, land line, e.g., alternate office or Auto Attendant.
|Mailbox for handling unanswered calls. Send voicemail to email. Local or toll-free number.
|Service providing call forwarding, call screening, sequential and simultaneous ringing. Local or toll-free number.
|Low-cost conferencing service with the added benefit of “on-net” calling rates for employees using Hosted PBX phones. Toll-free reserved and reservation-less conference calls.
|Dedicated toll-free numbers for inbound calling.
|Service used to receive and store faxes. Provides a secure and confidential “fax mailbox” for receipt of faxes; and the ability to send faxes from a Windows PC. Local or toll-free number.
|Service that answers and routes inbound calls to a person, department or information. Requires a direct inward dial number (DID) to route calls to specific phones. Local or toll-free number.
|Remote Market Numbers
|Service that provides a local phone number in remote markets that can be forwarded to a primary hunt group.
Integration with other services
Intermedia’s Office in the Cloud offers an integrated suite of services that includes hosted Exchange, Skype for Business, SecuriSync file sync and share, and many other essential business tools.
SIP Trunking adds Internet call routing to this suite—without introducing any of the integration or budgetary headaches that would come if you had to add another vendor.
As an integrated element of our Office in the Cloud, SIP Trunking offers:
- Simple pricing. SIP Trunking can be added to your suite of services for a simple monthly payment
- One vendor and one bill. Your budgeting and auditing processes remain simple and straightforward
- One source of support. No need to remember more phone numbers, account numbers or passwords
- One control panel. SIP Trunking is managed through HostPilot, the same control panel that manages all your other Intermedia services
- Plan flexibility. As with every Intermedia service, you have the flexibility to meet your specific needs, instead of being forced into a one-size-fits-all solution
Setup and installation
From switching to porting our Cloud Concierge team and Certified Integration Partners will work in tandem to perform all setup and migration tasks.
Assistance from our Cloud Concierge team
Our expert cloud concierge team performs all switching, porting, and migration for you. This includes setting up your HostPilot online control panel, porting your existing numbers from the phone company, and assisting with training, if necessary.
Installation from our Certified Integration Partners
Intermedia’s Certified Integration Partners complement the off-site work of our Cloud Concierge team. They perform such on-site tasks as:
- Inspecting your current phone system for SIP Trunking compatibility
- Performing any physical and digital tasks necessary to transfer your phone trunk
- Testing your network to ensure it has high-quality call support capability
- Setting up and deploying VoIP gateways, if necessary
- Performing any necessary on-site support
24/7 expert support
Our engineers work behind-the-scenes to keep your cloud performing at the highest levels. This ensures that nothing distracts you from growing your business.
But should the need arise, our support philosophy is simple: we’re here when you need us. And we respond to you, fast.
Here’s what you get with Intermedia’s support:
|Expert phone support
|24/7 phone and chat support is included in most plans.
|Short hold times
|We typically answer the phone in 60 seconds or less. (This level of service beats executive support at Fortune 500 companies.)
|Commitment to resolution
|Unlike other providers, we won’t push you to self-help solutions. We’ll stay with you until we resolve your problem.
|No ‘critical issues’ standard
|Unlike other providers, we don’t enforce a threshold for phone support. Admins can call us for help with any issue.
|No lock-in to a single person
|Your account history is available to the entire support team. Each of us has the context to solve your problems.
|Commitment to quality
|We don’t pressure team members on call length. All our key metrics are related to first-call resolution and customer satisfaction.
|Obsession with satisfaction
|We’ll survey your satisfaction after every call. And we’ll contact you every six months to get your feedback.
|Every team member is a direct employee. Our overnight support office is manned by English-speaking team members whose certification and problem-solving ability equals our daytime staff.
|Senior technicians are available
|If you have a highly technical challenge, feel free to request a Level 2 support technician.
|Going beyond individual cases
|You can request a 90-day review of all your support cases to identify and eliminate recurring issues.
99.999% financially backed SLA
Intermedia believes in giving our customers the best service possible. So we provide your business with a financially backed 99.999% (five nines) uptime service level agreement for all our services.
A 99.999% uptime SLA means that you should expect less than six minutes of downtime over the course of a year—and, if we should fail to deliver, we’ll compensate you for it.
Our competitors—including Office 365—only offer a 99.9% uptime guarantee. That’s just three nines. And while that difference may not seem significant, the difference actually amounts to downtime of over 8 hours.
|Downtime per year
|99.9% (“three nines”)
|99.99% (“four nines”)
|99.999% (“five nines”)
|Source: Wikipedia, “High Availability”
How would your business suffer if you couldn’t communicate with your customers or coworkers for a whole day? Or even half a day? With Intermedia’s five-nines uptime guarantee, you won’t have to find out.
How do we guarantee five nines availability?
We architect our cloud specifically for reliability, performance, and data protection.
Our business is predicated on our ability to offer a more secure environment than our customers could deploy themselves on-premises.
Multi-tenant platform security
Intermedia uses multiple redundant, enterprise-class firewall systems to prevent unwarranted intrusions.
Intrusion protection systems
Intermedia runs multiple intrusion protection systems (IPS) (both host and network) to detect and deter malicious network traffic and computer usage.
Our datacenters are closely monitored and guarded 24/7/365 with sophisticated pan/tilt closed-circuit TVs. Secure access is strictly enforced. Security guards are stationed at the entrance to each site.
Every Intermedia employee undergoes a rigorous background check. Employee access to passwords, encryption keys and electronic credentials is strictly controlled. Access to servers is restricted to authorized engineers and monitored regularly.
Redundant internet service providers
Each datacenter is serviced by multiple Tier-1 Internet providers to mitigate the potential impact of a Denial of Service (DoS) attack.
Authentication and access
Intermedia’s stringent policies and procedures authenticate a caller’s identify during support and service calls. Our online control panel gives you full control over access to services and administrative functions.
Dedicated security staff and monitoring
Intermedia employs dedicated, full-time security staff who are certified in all disciplines of information security.
Intermedia is registered and certified with the US Department of Commerce for privacy under the Safe Harbor program.
SOC 2 Certification
Intermedia has a SOC 2 audit report from an independent auditor who has validated that, in their opinion, our controls and processes were effective in assuring security during the evaluation period.
Our payment processing system has passed the strict testing procedures necessary to be compliant with the PCI Data Security Standards (PCI DSS).
Cloud Concierge™ Onboarding
The hardest part about moving your IT into the cloud is retaining the value that’s invested in your current system
Most cloud providers force you into a DIY migration path or “recommend” hiring a migration consultant. But Intermedia is different.
Our Cloud Concierge™ experts implement a custom migration plan to move your existing users and data into the cloud with minimal interruption to your business—at no extra cost. We migrate an average of 15,000 mailboxes and over 5,000 phone numbers to Intermedia each month, so you know you’re in good hands. Our Cloud Concierge onboarding experts are certified by Microsoft and Cisco, along with other product-specific certifications like SSVVP/SSCA and Sonic Wall. And they routinely complete training courses to increase their knowledge and skills.
Our Cloud Concierge experts will work with you to:
- Design an email migration plan that fits your schedule to reduce disruption
- Set up your email accounts
- Migrate your existing data
- Shift your employees over to the new email service seamlessly and without loss of data
Our Cloud Concierge experts will work with you to:
- Test your network to make sure it can properly support high-quality calls
- Work with you and your service providers to optimize your network, if needed
- Set up your Hosted PBX service
- Port over your existing phone numbers
- Ship your new phones
- Provide training for using your auto-attendant, creating and managing users and call lists, deploying Callscape, and leveraging other mobility features
For migrating existing data, you have a number of options:
- Currently an Intermedia Exchange customer? We’ll port your current mailbox states into Intermedia’s Email Archiving at no cost.
- Currently using Intermedia’s Message Mirror? We’ll migrate and ingest your full data set at no cost.
- Currently using another archiving solution? We’ll migrate and ingest your full data set for you.
SecuriSync® backup and file sharing
Want to sync a file server up to SecuriSync? Just use our SecuriSync for Windows File Server sync tool to:
- Install the tool on your file server
- Decide whether to sync all or a subset of the files to the cloud, or
- Migrate all the files to SecuriSync in case you no longer require the server
Intermedia Office Apps
Enabling Office apps for your users is easy. Simply provision your users for Office apps in HostPilot and then instruct them to log in to My Services and install the apps. Our Knowledge Base provides all the details, including installation and login instructions for your users.
Our Knowledge Base provides all the information you need to quickly enable AppID for your users. We provide an Admin guide that shows you how to provision users and add custom apps to the service. And give you an end user guide for your users that shows them how to add apps to their portal and use AppID to access those apps.
Powerful control panel
Every Intermedia service is managed through our powerful HostPilot™ control panel.
HostPilot integrates control over your Intermedia user accounts, services and devices across your locations. It essentially functions as a “business cloud platform”—making your cloud simple to manage while still offering granular control that matches an on-premises environment.
Control over services
- Easily add other Intermedia services (such as SecuriSync file sync and share or Skype for Business)
- Accept or reject user service requests
- Review logs of all changes for transparency
Control over devices
- Manage a wide range of mobile devices
- Set security and management policies for virtually all your mobile devices, including passcode enforcement, data encryption, etc.
- Perform remote wipes on lost or stolen devices
- Restrict devices from accessing Intermedia services
- See all enabled devices across your organization
Control over user accounts
- Add, delete or modify user accounts for web applications
- Change user settings, distribution lists, company contacts, disk space and much more
- Set up multiple levels of administrators
- View detailed exportable reports of your account activity, down to individual transactions
- Empower users to self-administrate (see below)
- Sync with your on-premises Active Directory (via our UserPilot service)
HostPilot mobile app
Our HostPilot mobile app lets you control your Intermedia cloud using your iPhone, iPad or Android device. It’s free and available in Google Play or the Apple App Store.
My Services: Our user control panel
The My Services portal lets each Intermedia user perform simple administrative activities. This includes changing passwords, requesting new services, or downloading desktop applications. My Services helps eliminate many of the routine requests that distract admins on a daily basis.